Yes, I have had some Chai disasters.
This recipe was given to me by a friend, Srimukti. She would make Chai for us at every Yoga Therapy training module and there was always a queue once she started to pour.
Here is the recipe she uses.
- 10 cardamom pods
- 10 whole black peppercorns
- 5 whole cloves
- 750ml (3 cups) water
- 1.7cm cinnamon stick, broken in half
- 5 teabags of black tea (Dilmah brand)
- 500ml Soy Milk (Bon Soy)
- Half a hand full or so fresh grated ginger
- 1 bay leaf
- a dash of Himalayan pink salt
- Honey and coconut or brown sugar to taste
- Place the cardamom pods, peppercorns and cloves in a mortar and pestle, and pound until lightly crushed.
- Place the water in a medium saucepan. Cover and bring to the boil over high heat. Add crushed spices, cinnamon stick, teabags, bay leaf, salt, and ginger. Set aside for 10mins to infuse. Stir in the soy milk and sugar. Place over medium heat until mixture just comes to the boil. Remove from the heat.
- To serve, pour through a fine sieve into heatproof serving glasses.